Dave

John Rumm wrote:
mark harrison wrote:

This is my first post so i apologise up front.

Welcome to the group!

(No need to apologies, you have not done anything wrong yet! ;-)

My parents live in a 1960 detatched house, they intend to replace the
central heating boiler (Glow worm hideaway circa 1982) with either a
combi or a condensing boiler.

All boilers you can install these days will be condensing. A combi is
one that heats the domestic hot water directly (usually) without any
storage cylinder. (for the pedants there are some hybrid combis that
include stored water all inside one box as well)

I had a plumber in school the other day. I was not that busy, so I
stated to chat to him about the scarcity of building tradesmen.

The subject got round to the fitting of my new boiler just before the
regs came into effect. I had a standard boiler fitted on the grounds
that the less there is inside, the less can go wrong.

We then went onto the subject of what part P says you can install.

He then amazed me by telling me that he paid a visit to his favourite
plumbing merchants, who were just taking delivery of 100 standard Baxi
boilers. So it looks like they are still making them.

After quizzing the merchants and ringing CORGI up, it came out that it
is not illegal to sell the old style boiler, but he has not yet worked
out just who is installing them. Maybe the DIY boys are buying them.

He also didn't get on his high horse, when I said you only need CORGI if
you are paid to install. He agreed with me about DIY, but did emphasize
about competency and the fact that it is not defined.

Dave