Tom MacIntyre

On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 12:23:09 -0500, jakdedert
wrote:

Tom MacIntyre wrote:
On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 12:53:42 +0100, "Dave D"
wrote:

"3T39" wrote in message
.. .

Hello, Reck!
You wrote on 22 Sep 2005 01:42:15 -0700:

R wow something wierd happened. lightning struck a house right across the
R street from me, sounded like a bomb went off. scared the bajeezes out
R of me. anyway i was watching TV at the time with my panasonic TV (not
R sure what type or how to find out), now there are inverted patches of
R color on the corners of the screen. it looks like sombody screwed up
R the tint on 3 of the corners of the screen. how do i fix it? do i have
R to buy a new TV now? somebody please help!

The lightning has knocked out the de-gauss circuit

Possible, but not especially likely IMHO.

and the shadow mask has become magnetised.

A lightning flash can generate a big enough electromagnetic pulse to
magnetise the shadow mask. It might clear up on its own after a few on/off
power cycles. OTOH, it might need a proper degauss with a degaussing tool.

Dave

I recall a poster here from years ago who had a set that had a purity
problem when placed in a particular corner, and it was determined that
the steel-beamed building in which he lived had been hit by lightning
at one time.

A soldering iron will perform a degauss, won't it?

Tom

A soldering *gun* will do a passable job...big high current transformer.
An iron is useless for this.

This is a fairly common problem with nearby lightning strikes and almost
always takes care of itself with repeated on/off cycles (if it hasn't
done so already).

jak

Darn...was thinking gun, typed iron. :-)

Tom