Doug Miller

In article , John McCoy wrote:
"Stephen M" wrote in
:

Why would tapering be a problem? I joint the face, joint the edge
then rip to width.

If the board is narrower at the ends than the middle, when you're
edge joining it you need to feed it so only the middle is cut for
the first few passes...otherwise the board will taper from one end
to the other.

In general, nature does not make boards that look like that. 99% of
the time if a board has a convex edge, the opposide edge is concave.

On the contrary, I see a fair number like that...I don't know if
it's an effect of different species, or drying technique, or what.
Boards like that are also usually thicker in the middle than the
ends, which leads me to think it's an effect of drying.

Leads me to think it's the result of an incompetent sawyer, and you should be
buying your lumber somewhere else.

--
Regards,