On 23 Sep 2005 19:12:51 GMT, Par wrote:

I need to make a carry box for some chefs knives (and a mandolin, but
that is more straight forward). It

(a) do not have too look nice (but is a plus if they do)
(b) does have to hadle being stored in moving cars, stacked in
any orientation
(c) need to -- as far as possible -- keep the edges from
touching anything
(d) have carry handles
(e) contain 2 big Sabatier chefs knives, 2 long narrow bladed
knives, two japanese style choppers and 2 smaller knives. And
perhaps a steel or two as well.
(f) perfect is if it somehow transmogrifies into a stand of some
sort when opened.

My thoughts have been towards birch plywood, with two trays and hidden
magnets to keep the blades from moving around in their compartments[1].
The trays could then be used to keep track of them in the kitchen.

But is there better ways? Would it be sane to make some sort of knife
block and then a carry box for it (conveninent on site)?

/Par

[1] I don't want to do super fitted compartments in case the
knife-population changes.

I did a google search for "chef cutlery transport case". it returned a
bunch of interesting things, most of which look like softside cases,
but a few were hard cases. some good ideas might be found that way...

I would make a case with a bottom section like a knife rack and a space
in the lid for the choppers.

The knife blades can come in contact with anything softer than they
are.