David

Default Preventing halogen lights overheating under Rockwool

wrote in message ...
wrote:

I can't say that I have noted the effect in low voltage lamps -
they are largely disposed to early failure anyway - though gls and
reflector lamps exhibit the same tendency...

I have mine enclosed in upturned pots and can't say that mine fail any
earlier than anybody else's

... but why have you got them in upturned pots? If it doesn't make
them run cooler what's it doing for the lamps or anything else?

It does nothing for the lamps,other than keep the insulation at bay.
the only way to make them run cooler would be to attach heatsinks to them,
or have some forced air cooling but that is totally unecccessary.

by having upturned pots around them you

1. prevent the insulation coming into direct contact with the lamp
2. have a convenient hole in the base of the pot to take the lead out of and
so keep the wiring on top of the insulation
3. have a cover which can potentially be sealed to minimise warm humid air
entering the loft space.

yes the pots will heat up.

without pots : the lamp heats up , then this heats the air. (assuming loft
insulation still held back)

with pots: lamp heats up, this heats up the air, the air heats up the pots,
the pots get warm and warm up the surrounding air in the loft.

There may be a slight increase in the lamp[ temperature over scenario 1 but
I didn't notice any after installing the pots, however before I put them
over our fittings I certainly did notice some condensation in the loft after
installing 4 spots in the ceiling. **

Since using the pots over the spots this has not been evident, an extractor
fan was also added at a later date.

** the spots were installed in mid january , and the conditions in the loft
checked a couple of days later, after fairly heavy use of the bath and
shower. the extractor fan had not been wired up at this point which would
obviously affect the situation as well.

regards

David

regards