Default Preventing halogen lights overheating under Rockwool

wrote:
In article ,
writes

The lamp will probably run hotter as it's in a very enclosed space
with no ventilation.

This is what I was trying to say in my first reply, does it matter if it
runs hotter in an enclosed space? I don't think so

But what's the point then?

That the lamp is not the problem and doesn't need cooling as it's
designed to run in a confined space BUT if its totally encapsulated in
rockwool then this combination may get hot enough to cause a problem to
nearby joists, boarding, whatever, so all the pot does is keep the
insulation away from the lamp and as air circulation around the lamp is
not a problem as its designed to go into a confined space you might as
well seal up around the edge of the pot to stop draughts from the
ceiling space into the room below and vise versa, whew

I'm entirely unconvinced that the flower pot makes any difference
then. The lamp outputs the same amount of heat whatever you put
around it. This heat must escape to the surroundings which will thus
get just as hot whether you put a flower pot over it or not. In fact
it may produce hotter hotspots simply because you have reduced the
airflow somewhat.

The only gain *might* be that more of the heat goes down into the room
below but I'm not all that convinced that this will happen.

If you are into insulation and draught proofing though, you have created
a hole in your ceiling unless you use the sealed lens type units, by
putting a pot over and sealing around the edge you prevent this

You are probably also doing something awful to the fire proofing.

fire proofing???

I meant that the hole in the ceiling, unless dealt with somehow,
reduces the fire barrier created by a plasterboard ceiling.

--
Chris Green