Frank J Warner

In article , Paul
Oman wrote:

Hello

seeking recommendations for what brand and size generator to get.

Would be used for a running a light or two, maybe a PC, TV etc if power
goes out, as well as misc workshop tools when working in the yard.

Seems like if not used a lot, when needed it would not start (Murphy's
law) I suppose adding gasoline stabilizer to the fuel and starting it
every month or two is critical. Still, some engine brands seem to start
more easily than others, handle old gas better than others, etc.

I hesitate to just go and buy whatever home depot or sears has for sale
without some 'user feedback"

Hi Paul,

I just bought a Generac 5550 "Wheelhouse" portable generator from HD. I
did a bunch of research before deciding on this one and the three
factors that contributed the most (after wattage) were that the
ancestor of this generator was Consumer Report's Top Pick in 2003,
availability, and noise level.

Noise was a BIG factor for me, and I'd heard that the Generac ran at a
confortable 60-70 dB; low enough to hold a normal conversation within a
few feet of the running unit.

In fact, the noise level is closer to 80-90 dB, meaning you have to
yell rather loudly to be heard over the noise of the running unit. It
isn't pleasant, and you wouldn't want to use a generator like this on a
camping trip.

But I bought mine for use during catastrophic emergencies only, not
camping, and not even during short brownouts (which are becoming more
common). In my area of California, that means a 7.5 earthquake or fire,
which may never happen in my lifetime. So I plan to keep the unit. It
does everything else as advertised.

$.02 deposited.

-Frank

--