No

Like George said - Mas is key. Also physical separation helps a lot too.

Here are a few scenarios, cheaper/easier to more elaborate. I will not even
suggest anything an average handy person couldn't do.

Option one
Add one or two layers of 5/8 sheetrock to inside of wall.

Option two
Add sheetrock to both sides of wall, on outside you can just put your
paneling back over the sheetrock.

Option 3
Build a new wall inside the old wall, not connected to the old wall. If you
have room, of course. Then insulate with solid foam, in both walls, and
drywall both walls, inside and out.

Option 3 will be most effective. In all these situations your access door is
probably the weakest link. if you access door is not louvered to supply
fresh air or serve as a return you can consider putting a solid wood or
metal door in its place. Also weather stripping, even the floor, will help
greatly.

"Saml" wrote in message
Utility room with the gas furnace & blower is right beside the family
room. Intervening wall is built with 2x4s with thin wood paneling on the
family room side.

Someone had put peg-board on the utility room side, but we ripped it out
to give the electrician access for some rewiring work. There is no
insulation in the wall.

To decrease the noise of the furnace I'd like to put something in the wall
space.

Will R-13 fiberglass make any significant difference?

Any better suggestions?

Sam