Aidan wrote:

Does anyone know if it would be practical to geta 24V ac 50 Hz power
supply from a stand-by battery?

if you make your own invertor. Or you could buy a 24v dc to sine mains
invertor and add a 24v transformer onto it.

I'd think there'd be an inverter involved but are these easily
available for this output?

no

The aim is to run an electronic device
during power failures, but getting a different device might be easier
than getting 24V ac.

quite likely. But your 24v ac device will most likely run quite happily
off 24v x 1.41 - 3v = 31v dc. Sometimes theyll even accept a range of
voltages. I cant think of too many 24v appliances that would need ac.

Dont ask electronic questions on ukdiy. You can, but its at your risk,
this isnt a tronics group, theres little expertise here on it.

NT