Jeff Wisnia

azjim wrote:
I just measured the voltage with a voltmeter going into the water
heater. (with the wires disconnected from the water heater) The water
heater is only one month old and Lowes is going to replace it so I just
don't want the same thing to happen.
Thanks,
Jim

When you get the new heater or element installed measure the voltage at
the heater with the wires connected and the heater drawing current.

Chances are you'll find the voltage a bit less than 250 because of a bit
of voltage drop in the wires going to the heater.

I seriously doubt if 250 volts rms is what caused that element to fail
so soon. I think it was just a fluke caused by a defectively
manufactured elemen.

Are you experiencing rather short life of the lightbulbs in your home?
If the voltage is really excessive that'll happen.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)