Craig Graham

Default Concrete shed base

Rick Dipper wrote:
On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 09:23:51 +0100, "Craig Graham"

I guess your "latice" will need to be reasonably thick to be any good,
I was using 2 layers of a393 sheet (10mm bars, 200mm squares) in 300mm
of concrete, its enouth to hold a house up. a393 sheet is 32 quid a
sheet (4.8x2.4m). You support the mesh on briks, it MUST be 40mm or
more from the edge of the concrete in all directions.

That sounds excessive for this- it's a 3 metre single storey shed, not a
house! The specifications say a 100mm concrete base; since I'm unsure of the
ground I was planning a single layer of a393 sheet.

It easier to work with less than a full mixer full, it gives some room
for manover. The concret will me MUCH cheeper from wicked, 6 bags of
ballast (1.09) to 1 bag of cement (2.60) will give you 150kg of the
stuff.

Do you mean Wickes?

I need 80x25kg bags giving 2000kg.

150kg your way costs £9.14, and I'd need 13 of these making the total cost
around £122, excluding delivery since more than two trips to get the stuff
is a bit too much hassle. Given I can get a mixer to come and deliver that
amount ready to place for £118, it still seems the way to go even though
your figures are much better than the £600 that I reckoned from Keyline's
web site.

I guess you will end up with something that will take one heck of a
bit of getting rid of again, so be sure you want this shed to stay
forever.

That's one thing that put me off originally, but since I only need 100mm I
could always hire a breaker if I needed to get rid of it. Or use the SDS
drill and patience.

--
Dr. Craig Graham, Software Engineer
Advanced Analysis and Integration Limited, UK. http://www.aail.co.uk/