David F. Eisan

Default Making a simple QSWO picture frame... (w/pics)

Hello everyone,

I started tonight on a simple quatersawn white oak picture frame for an oil
painting on canvas I picked up in Cuba over Christmas.

I had to make a new frame to stretch the canvas over, (it was removed from
the frame for transport)

http://www.federatedtool.com/DAVID/IMG/CANVASFRAME.JPG

Just a simple soft maple frame pocket screwed together.

I had some quarter sawn white oak I picked up a while ago and decided to
make the actual picture from from it,

http://www.federatedtool.com/DAVID/I...meinclamps.jpg

Here it is in clamps, about 1.75" wide, #10 biscuits at the corners. You can
see the part of the biscuits protruding into the frame itself. They

will be trimmed later and not seen.

Here is a pic of sanding the entire frame flush with 240 grit,

http://www.federatedtool.com/DAVID/IMG/sanding.jpg

I stretched the canvas over the maple frame and secured it with tacks,

http://www.federatedtool.com/DAVID/I...vasonframe.jpg

I don't speak Spanish, but this tag was on the back of the canvas. I had to
pay $2.00 for this tag in order to take it out of Cuba,

http://www.federatedtool.com/DAVID/IMG/exporttag.jpg

Here I am making the rebate in the back of the QSWO frame for the picture to
fit into,

http://www.federatedtool.com/DAVID/IMG/rebate.jpg

Not the best shot, but here I am squaring up the rounded corners of the
rebate so the picture will fit in,

http://www.federatedtool.com/DAVID/I...ingcorners.jpg

Here is a test fit of the picture in the frame. You can see the simple edge
bead I put on the frame. Very simple, but I think nice,

http://www.federatedtool.com/DAVID/IMG/testfit.jpg

Now for the scary part,

http://www.federatedtool.com/DAVID/IMG/ammonia.jpg

I plan to fume this QSWO frame with blueprint ammonia. This is not for the
faint of heart, many safety precautions need to be taken, this

stuff is dangerous. I am wearing an organic airfilter, googles and heavy
acid gloves.

You can see the frame in a garbage can on a supporting frame. There is a
glass pie plate in there onto which I will pour a pint or two of

ammonia.

http://www.federatedtool.com/DAVID/IMG/ammonia.jpg

I put a garbage bag over the top (now side) of the garbage can to act as a
gasket and I put the top on. It is well sealed now, as the lid was

tough to put on. I will leave the frame in there to fume for between 24-48
hours. I expect the frame to turn a dark chocolate brown, but the

ray flecks of the QSWO to remain light and luminescent, unlike the muddiness
they would take on if the fram was stained.

http://www.federatedtool.com/DAVID/IMG/sealedfornow.jpg

More pics in a few days when I take the frame out of the fuming chamber,

David.