Martin H. Eastburn

Sounds like it might be wired in a Delta.
Likely - as a missing phase won't knock you out - you have a 2/3 power ability.

Now - think of your 3 phase gen - you put in 220 - a phase at zero (0) another phase at 180 .
You generate the missing phase at 90. So 0,90,180 are the 'zero' marks for the positive alternations.

If you put all three phases to the transformer - 3 phase. If you knock out the wild one - 90 -
the ends are there - if you really have a delta wired transformer(s) then an Open V , inverted D
(several tag names ) condition occurs. 2/3 power is the max.

Security places from Police to ... all of them use Delta x Delta transformers. If an input line/winding
is 'lost' then the system survives. What they do is beef up the VA rating so
in this lost mode they run 100% other modes they have more than planned for.

Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Ignoramus26924 wrote:
Forgot to say, its transformer diagram seems to be triangular,
IIRC. It is a "three transformers and a rectifier" kind of welder. I
will double check this, I have all schematics.

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 16:57:48 GMT, Ignoramus26924 wrote:

I have a Hobart CyberTig 200 DC-S welder. It is 3 phase, however, the
fan motor in it is single phase. (110V). I verified that the welder
powers up on 3 phase 240V. (after I rewired it).

My question is, is it safe to run it on single phase 240V (provided
that I select the right wires to power signal transformer and fan). If
so, what would be a safe reduced output amperage for welding. For 3
phase, it is rated 200 A continuous, I believe.

It would be great if that was possible, at least for small projects.
I could use some 8/3 cable that I have, not worry about the phase
converter etc.