Robert Swinney

Carl,

Where have you been all the years and through all the posts on RCM
disclaiming 240V 2-PHASE current? There is no such thing available in the
ordinary US residence. 240v SINGLE PHASE current is what just about all
residences have in the US. It comes in on 3 wires, one of them being the
center tap of the transformer. It is center tapped to provide 240 volts
across the entire winding and 2 sides of 120V each.

Try not to confuse Iggy by giving him erronious information - he has enough
trouble with the real facts.

Bob Swinney

"carl mciver" wrote in message
ink.net...
"Ignoramus26924" wrote in message
| I have a Hobart CyberTig 200 DC-S welder. It is 3 phase, however, the
| fan motor in it is single phase. (110V). I verified that the welder
| powers up on 3 phase 240V. (after I rewired it).
|
| My question is, is it safe to run it on single phase 240V (provided
| that I select the right wires to power signal transformer and fan). If
| so, what would be a safe reduced output amperage for welding. For 3
| phase, it is rated 200 A continuous, I believe.

Since you have the schematics, does it explain how to hook it up to 240
two phase? I think that if you don't hit the full current capacity of the
welder, you ought to be okay. Make sure you have the wall current
required
to drive it on two phase, though. The manual ought to discuss the
derating.
If it doesn't show that its possible (I think unlikely) then your RPC
ought to drive it with the derating considered.