Spehro Pefhany

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 19:31:31 -0400, the renowned Pete Keillor
wrote:

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 13:37:55 -0400, Spehro Pefhany
wrote:

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 08:33:15 -0700, the renowned Mark
wrote:

snip
One mother came up to me several weeks after her son had helped. She
said she had an amazing conversation with him a few days after the
game. He told her that while he was helping, he began to realize that
although all our kids had physical or mental problems of all types,
every one of them was having a blast. "Mom, I finally figured out
this game is supposed to be fun!" Man, that was a sad commentary on
the rest of the program.

My middle son's team was the first to be "helpers" because his coach
asked if he could help. That team must have had a similar revelation,
because before they helped, they had only won one game, and after they
didn't lose. Basically, they started to have fun and play ball.

It's amazing what a little perspective can do.

Pete Keillor

Even in the regular leagues, I notice that an unusually large
proportion of the kids have some kind of behavioral issue. In some
cases (single mothers), a coach might be the most influential and
continuing male presence in some years of a boy's life. If it's not
fun, it's time to find something else, unless one is pursuing a BB
scholarship or whatever.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany