Bob Minchin

Default advice sought - builder's idea for damp proofing a basement

Antony wrote in message ...
I've just asked a builder for a quote on damp proofing a basement. The
basement is in a house on a hill. One wall has earth behind it, two
side walls are shared with next door, and one wall is at garden level
with a window and door out.

We want to make the basement habitable and into a kitchen. The builder
has suggested aquaseal and dry walling all round on the walls and
asphalt on the floor.

How does this sound?

I wanted to get some opinions if anyone is happy to offer them. I
wonder about dry walling and aquaseal as he is proposing nailing the
membrane on and this will make holes. I wonder about the asphalt floor
and why he hasn't suggested a plastic membrane and concrete. I am also
concerned that the methods proposed does not seem to be a 'system' ie,
a partial 'tanking' of the basement.

The basement does not appear to have a damp problem other than the
usual damp air feel of an unused basement but I am concerned over the
limits of his proposals.

How long/against what can i expect it to be effective?

tia

Antony

Why not ask your local friendly BCO?
They are normally very helpful (not like planners who often hail from other
planets)
Bob