Spehro Pefhany

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 08:45:12 -0400, the renowned Brian Lawson
wrote:

Hey Speff,

Next to religion, you're involved in what I personally believe to be
the single enterprise in life that brings out the best in many, but
absolutely the WORST in EVERYONE. Children's sports.

Bunch of years back, I did a fair bit of umpiring in the Windsor area.
My son had elected to play soccer (about which I know nussing), and I
thought I'd do my "bit" and help out with doing the baseball and
fastball.

What do you think about a man (not me) being told by the top honcho in
the organization that if he didn't do xxx immediately his kid would
*never* be able to play AAA ball (would be permanently blacklisted)?

In my case, my kid (who you've met, here and in Detroit, if you
recall) *has* been blacklisted.

Yep, be ready, go watch some games and get your kid on the team with
the nicest coach under pressure, and with the least bullies as his
team-mates. One way to do that is to volunteer to help. Then we'll
see how Speff does!

Helped, did my best to be supportive and a straight arrow, but it
didn't help, just the opposite. The culture rewards backstabbing.
Isn't that what these "island" reality shows are about (I don't watch
much tv)?

The little town I live in now, about 1,000 people, has at least a 20%
factor of folks who won't-speak-to/hate/despise one another due to
some sports politics and diplomacies (or lack of) over the years as
Members of the Optimist Club different sports programs.

Yow. But I can believe it! Sad, isn't it.

Nobody,
except the kids, recalls who won or lost the games and season, but the
adults do remember the wars!!

Thanks for the perspective, Brian. IMHO, if it's done right, the kids
shouldn't remember 95% of the games/seasons but they should remember
their teammates and the hotels and the fun times.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany