George E. Cawthon

I don't know if anyone in this group can help with this, but it's worh
a try. I'm using a small pond pump (L G Sourcing Model MD 170) to
operate a
contraption I built to open and close a small sliding wooden door on a
chicken coop on a timer. It pumps water into a jug (attached to door by
pulley) that has a slow leak so the door stays open while the pump runs
all day (jug stays full), and then at night (pump off) the water leaves
the jug and the door closes. Worked like a charm since June when I made
it, but now that cold weather is approaching, I need to modify the
system. Here's my question: Does anyone know whether or not this (or
any pond pump) will be damaged if I substitute windshield washer fluid
(methanol based) for the water? I've contacted the pump manufacturer
about this but haven't heard back yet.

Thanks

Lynn Willis

To answer your question, most small pumps are fine
with windshield washer fluid or a regular auto or
RV antifreeze.

You need to rethink your system for winter, summer
using water with a simple system makes a lot of
sense. Winter requires something that doesn't
freeze and that costs money if you simply dump it.

Possibly two pumps one to fill the first jug and
open the door and one to pump it out of that jug
to a storage jug. All you need a simple float
operated switch to turn the pump off. There is
really no reason in having a pump operating
continually.