Doug Miller

In article .com, wrote:
Urgent ..Please help...

I am writing regarding a home in the Bay Area, CA.

My sister bought it NEW about 8 years ago.

There is a leak in the pipes (bath tub area) inside the walls and is
dripping to the first floor. This could be serious and cost a lot of
money to repair.

Yes, it certainly could. So why are you wasting your time asking about
warranty issues on Usenet, when you should be picking up the phone and calling
a plumber to get it fixed? Your first priority is to fix the leak, before it
causes any more damage than it already has. If the problem *is* covered under
warranty -- doubtful after 8 years, but possible -- you can probably be
reimbursed later. Get it fixed now. Worry about who's going to pay for it
later.

Can anyone pls tell me what is the warranty for for such pipe leaks ?

Varies from builder to builder, and no doubt from state to state also. Maybe
even from city to city within the same state.

We tried recaulking the bath tub ...but it did not help.

If you already know that "there is a leak in the pipes" why would you suppose
that recaulking the tub would have any effect?

Is the builder responsible for this ?

Probably not after 8 years. Especially in a seismically active area.

What is the law with respect to home builders and plumbing/leaks/
related warranties ? is it 10 years ?

Ummm... shouldn't you be asking a *lawyer* that question?

In speaking with the HomeBuilders they brushed us off ...saying the
warranty is only a year or so.

What does the warranty paperwork say?

Do we stand on legally strong grounds ?

Probably not. But only a local lawyer can give you an accurate answer to that
question.