Abrasha

Mike Young wrote:
"Abrasha" wrote in message

Mike Young wrote:

If there really were better alternatives, I'll certainly join the
rush to leave. As it stands, though, there isn't one.

Have you ever taken a close look at the Mac's OSX?

I do like the glitz and polish of their offerings,

Yeah, quite a bit different from the shoe boxes Windows users are used
to. Their machines are so beautiful.

and thought briefly
about six months ago about buying a baby Mac to play with.

That one really isn't good for much, other than doing very basic stuff.

And then I
remembered regretting every Apple product I ever wasted a dime on,
including a Mac II, Newton, and an early iPod.

I had a Mac SE. Hated it, with that tiny build in monitor. You had to
scroll sideways all the time too, in word processing, to see what you
were doing. AND you had to get a proprietary Apple printer.

In any case, I doubt it
can be compelling. Windows is king of the desktop, for better or worse,
for one very simple reason: every best-of-class application runs on
Windows, and I own and use quite a few of them. Very few of them run on
the Mac. But, no, I don't know very much about OSX. What do you find
compelling?

Frankly, I am in the same boat as you are. Several program I use do not
run on the Mac. In my case that is trueSpace by Caligari, PhotoPaint
and Draw by Corel (I hate Photoshop), and Vegas and DVD Architect by
Sony (formerly by Sonic Foundry)

However, I could switch all of the programs to the Mac, if I were
willing to get new software also and just get through it. That would
mean though, that I would have to dedicate a major amount of time to
learning new software, which I am not willing to do. Until of course, I
get so fed up with Windows, that I throw the whole thing out on the street.

So what do I find compelling. Well, the design of the hardware is a
major attraction for me. And dozens of my friends and colleagues, who
are all in the design community in one way or another, all report, that
they have none of the problems that I have. They claim never to have
had any of the problems, that I commonly complain about.

Networking is a snap on the Mac, always has been. Security is built in
from the start.

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com