Dan_Musicant

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 21:09:09 -0500, wrote:

:I just picked up a used washing machine to replace the one that died.
:This new machine has a suds-saver, which means two drain hoses. It
:came from a house with a laundry tub in the basement. The problem is
:that my house does not have a basement or a laundry tub. The washer
:and dryer are in a utility room with a wooden floor. Instead of a
:laundry tub, there is just a piece of PVC in the wall to drain into.
:Obviously not large enough for 2 washer drain hoses. While I know
lumbing and know how I could put a Tee on the pipe, I am asking if
:there is a way to just plug the suds-saver hose on the wash machine,
:since it wont be used anyhow. Does anyone know? Or, is there some
:sort of adaptor or other device made for this? I am sure others have
:had this same problem.
:
:Thanks in advance for all help.
:
:Mark
I too bought a used washing machine and had to hook it up. There was a
washing machine drain pipe already in the laundry room, so I hooked the
drain hose over it and hoped for the best. Being a newbie, I expected it
to work (why not?). It backed up into the room all over my wood floor. I
deftly turned off the machine and mopped up the mess and started
brainstorming my next move. I checked out a drain pipe cleaning tool
(snake) from my local tool lending library and that did it. However, I
figured it was only a matter of time until it backed up again and next
time I would probably not be there to turn off the machine in a matter
of seconds and mop up. So, I checked out my local Home Depot and saw
they had laundry tubs for sale for around $20. I went down there with a
diagram of my room including dimensions and figured the tub might just
barely fit in the space. It did, with no more than 1/4 inch to spare! It
has to be the best solution I could have hoped for. Even so, I use lint
trap filters on the drain hose coming from the machine to slow down the
accummulation of lint in the drain pipe that is inevitable over time. I
will have ample warning of that and can clean it out with a snake any
time I care too, and meantime there's no danger of a swamp on the floor.

HTH

Dan