ChrisCoaster

If I may interject - I have a 2004 model 24" flat tube Toshiba with
hidden service menus that even Bush could understand and manipulate.
So not all service menus consist of hieroglyphics. : )

I've got that bugger so squared up and true just using the THX patterns
on the Star Wars trilogy, I have HD pals with 54" widescreens that
spend more time in front of my set than those.

Try this site for menu info on some sets:

http://www.artofhacking.com/files/TVMODES.TXT

OR:

http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/how2adj.html (excellent site!)

-CC

Dave D wrote:
"Albert Grennock" wrote in message

Well obviously I would procede cautiously, if I didn't know what I was
doing
I would not do it.

So don't do it, because going off your contributions to this thread, you
clearly don't know anything about them.

I can't imagine it would be that difficult otherwise it would be difficult
for
engineers/calibrators to work themselves.

They have the necessary *training*, Albert.

Service menus are not for non-techies or consumers, they are there
specifically to facilitate adjustment by *trained* assembly opearators, and
for engineers with the necessary skill/training/manuals.

You can render a TV completely unusable by altering service menu settings.
You can also make adjustments which can stress parts beyond their rated
tolerances.

How do you intend to use a service menu without any reference material? Are
you just going to press buttons at random and hope the picture height
shrinks? How are you going to navigate through the menu without
instructions? Which buttons will you use? How will you decipher the coded
abbreviations for each setting? How will you know when you have set the
height up with the correct amount of overscan?

Furthermore, as has already been pointed out, the problem may be due to a
fault. What diagnostic steps will you take to confirm this? What
voltages/waveforms will you check? What will you compare them with? How will
you test capacitors in the vertical output? Do you have an ESR meter? How
will you confirm the supply rail to the vertical output is the correct
voltage?

Give it up for heaven's sake, and take the damn thing back to the shop.

Dave