G Henslee

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
wrote in message

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

...Cast iron radiators retain heat for a while after the circulator stops
and the room will continue to absorb that heat.

More to the point, they may keep somebody warm by actual radiation after
the pump stops. Then again, the wall above a baseboard fin tube could do
that too.

My experience contradicts that. The mass of some sheetrock and paint does
not have the heat holding capacity of 100 pounds of cast iron.

Fin and tube baseboard does not have the mass and cools quickly.
Cast iron baseboard is much closer to the performance of the ci
radiators and should be used if you do make the change.

I doubt that would make much difference.

What makes you doubt that? I have real life experience in this. Do you?

http://www.colonialsupply.com/resources/radiator.htm

Along with a little vague disinformation...

Cast iron radiators heat up slowly and cool down slowly to give
very gentle, even, radiant heating. Since the 50's less expensive
copper finned convectors and baseboard have come to predominate
but the heating is harsher more of an "all on," "all off" effect.
Along with these and other, even newer forms of heating, Burnham
Cast Iron Radiators and Cast Iron Baseboard are still available
at Colonial...

Whaddya know... The SELL cast iron radiators :-)

So, just because they sell a product they give mis-information? Again, give
me some facts to back up your doubts. IMO, you would rather just cast doubt
in this case rather that give real life examples and experience. I'm
speaking from the experience in working for a manufacturer of fin and tube
heating, but at the same time using cast iron because it performs best in a
radiator replacement to avoid mixing materials. I now longer own the house,
but it is in Philly if you'd like to pop over and make some measurements.
I'm sure the new owner will be happy to have you.

FWIW, I used the calculations from the Colonial web page to size a heating
system in a conversion from steam to hot water in a portion of a building.
Judging from performance, it is very accurate.

There ya go. Muddying the waters with a bunch of facts.