sofie

Barry:
It would be very much SAFER for you to learn electronics troubleshooting on
equipment less dangerous than your television. Starting at square one like
you would be... you would be wise to get some books and other reading
material and put together and build some basic and simple electronics
projects to hone your soldering skills and electronics knowledge.... then
you can graduate to more intricate battery operated and eventually AC power
line operated devices that use low B+ voltages such as portable radios,
stereo equipment, tape decks, CD players, etc...... then when you know
better what you are doing then you might want to tackle much more
complicated circuitry in things like your television which has very high
voltages with very dangerous and lethal electrical shock hazards inside....
note that these hazards can be present even when the AC Power is
disconnected... be very careful.
You might want to go to the website for this newsgroup at
http://www.repairfaq.org/
there, with some searching, you will find lots of good repair and safety
information regarding a plethora of electronics and electrical equipment.
--
Best Regards,
Daniel Sofie

"Barry" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks for your reply. No I don't know how to troubleshoot a vertical
circuit, but I'd like to know how.
I have a voltmeter, but I assume I need more than that. What do I
need? I would like to be able to do troubleshooting so I would
consider buying more test equipment..
I don't have a schematic, so I don't know where the vertical circuit
is. Would it help to have one? If so, where can I get one?
I would expect I could buy a new 25 inch TV cheaper than I would pay to
repair this 20 inch one; so it's either fix it myself or throw it out.

Barry