Jerry Built

Default B&Q Carpet Underlay

Lawrence Zarb wrote:
I need to buy some underlay for my lounge, hall, stairs and
landing. I want to get good quality underlay and have seen
in on B&Q's web site two possiblilties

[ 5* rubber and blue "contract" (CATID=59836 PRODID=71435),
(CATID=59836 PRODID=71439) ]

Does anyone have any recommendations on which is best/most
hardwaring, or any other supplier/product?

I've just finished a job using the blue contract stuff. It has
a silver foil damp-proof membrane on one side, and a plastic
non-silver foil on the upward facing side. It is easy to cut
and lay. Buy some spray glue to fix around the edge at various
points, and tape all seams. Carpet lays easily on this stuff.
It is guaranteed ARAIR, and is cheaper by a long way than the
rubber stuff, which I find smells and will crumble eventually.
The "contract" stuff is much lighter. That said, it is more
common to see the rubber stuff.

If you want a recommendation, buy 42oz or better "shoddy" or
wool underlay, both of which are available on the 'net. It is
not quite so fitter-friendly, but will outlast rubber or foam,
is very comfy, and doesn't stink. Much better than foam or
rubber ribbed or crumb underlay.

J.B.