Stephen Williams

Default B&Q Carpet Underlay

news:86840b3cdc0805787acaf1d7570f269f.52329@mygate .mailgate.org...

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/produc...PRODID=714 35

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/produc...PRODID=714 39

| Does anyone have any recommendations on which is best/most hardwaring,
| or any other supplier/product?
|

| --

I've not seen the B&Q underlay, but bear in mind that a cheap poor carpet
needs a good underlay and a good carpet deserves a good underlay.

There are two main types of underlay available now, standard gripper fixed
and double stuck.

The gripper fixed can be felt or a mixture of felt and rubber, these are not
fixed to the floor in anyway, the carpet is effectively stretched between
grippers which are pinned to the floor. Think of a drum skin. This is why
you should have the carpet restretched about 6 months after fitting and then
at intervals depending of the amount of use the carpet gets. Felt also mats
down in heavy traffic areas such as doorways, which leads to a hard feeling
after a short time.

Double stuck underlay has a release adhesive below the underlay and a
permanent adhesive above it to which the carpet is bedded into. The
advantage is that the carpet doesn't stretch and "should" not move. Double
stuck underlay is usually rubber or rubber crumb, although there are now
some synthetic versions. Don't go for a floppy one as this may breakdown in
use.

Basically you pays yer money and take yer choice!

Cheers
Steve