Ericp

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 13:43:59 +0100, Rob Morley
wrote:

In article ,
says...
In article , John Cartmell
wrote:
In article .com,
wrote:
So let me get this straight. You pay £120 for a TV license and you get
nothing for it. Come on now, that sort of thing only happens in the UK.

Compare UK TV with USA TV. The quality we get (across all channels) is
driven by the licence we pay. Cut out the licence and all you do is put
(more) money in the back pocket of Murdoch and dump the quality of TV for
all of us - and at far greater cost.

And in case anyone is misled by your other comment - a TV card in a PC
requires a licence.

Would a USB TV card running on a laptop on battery power be a special
case? I can't remember what difference it makes, but I remember there's
something about battery poweed TVs.

If you are the holder of a valid tv license then you are entitled to
use a portable tv away from home, if it is powered by it's own
internal batteries. That what you are thinking of?

As usual, it is completely outstripped by advancing technology. I am
getting a Freecom Freeview dongle for the pc. It will probably be
legal away from home but depends which of my family are operating it.