Chris F.

Default Is there any hope for the repair industry?

As most of you have probably noticed, the electronics repair industry is
sinking faster than the Titanic. The speed is alarming - even within the
last several months, I've seen a sharp drop in what few repairs and sales I
had remaining. People just aren't getting anything fixed, or buying anything
used. I think it's not only the low price of new appliances, but a desire
for constant change that is driving this trend. Also, I think people buy new
units with full knowledge that they won't last long. Why? Because they hate
commitment. Think about it. If people don't want to commit to a marriage,
religion, or even an automobile, then why would they want the same TV in
their living room for 10 or 15 years? Our society is seriously messed up!
My question is, do any of you guys see things turning around? The reason I
ask is because I really want to leave the industry and go find something
else. I will probably dump most of my inventory in the spring. Among my
inventory is a stock of many OEM remotes - I'm considering trying to sell
these now before they're completely worthless.
I don't think that imposing disposal fees is the solution - that would
just increase the problem of illegal dumping. The only thing that will work
is introducing legal requirements on the quality - or at least the price -
of new electronics. Which will never happen of course.
Our society is going to pay dearly for its foolishness someday, and I for
one won't have the least bit of sympathy for it. I just regret that my love
for and talent with electronics has led me down this dead-end road.