Stephen M

Yes, Shallow.

I have set at "minimal" and leave it. I'm not sure how many boards you need
to take a zillion passes.

Always crosscut to rough length before jointing. If a board is naturally
flat it takes me 2 or three passes to remove the milling marks. If I have
to remove any serious bow or cup I can usual get a surface withou marks
within 6 passes.

If all the milling marks are gone and the board is not flat (that is smooth
not flat) you have a set-up issue or a technique problem.

-Steve

"Art Greenberg" wrote in message
nk.net...
I just had my first real opportunity to prep some rough stock yesterday. I
thought the conservative thing to do would be to set the jointer for very
shallow (about 1/32nd) cuts, and make as many passes as necessary to

remove
all of the milling marks on the face of the board. I left the jointer set

the
same way to do the edge of the board, once the face was flat.

The results seem OK, but after about a zillion passes, I started to wonder

if
this was the proper strategy. Should I have used a more aggressive cut?

What
are the factors that I should apply when making this decision?

Thanks.

--
Art Greenberg
artg AT eclipse (remove this) DOT net