B a r r y

DIYGUY wrote:
At the risk of setting off a long series of rants here, I personally
hate poly anything. Not because it is inherently difficult to work with
(because it sure can be) but because I don't care what you are making
all things made of wood eventually need to be refinished or touched up
if they are not put in a museum. And when it comes time to refinish
them poly is just a plain bitch to work with.

So ... why not get old-fashioned and try something a little easier? Put
on some shellac! If you want something a little tougher spray some
lacquer over it. Shellac is so under-appreciated by the Norm-ites of
the world it is shame.

I love shellac and lacquer. The two are often my first choices for
furniture and built-ins.

However, on a "daily driver" kitchen or dining table, I love wiped on
poly for it's durability. Why not prevent the piece from needing repair
in the first place? G Wiped on, it can look just as good as any
other film finish, evaporative or reactive. I actually prefer Waterlox
brand urethanes, thinned to wiping consistency at the time of use,
because I think they dry to a rubbable hardness sooner than Minwax.

My all-time favorite finish for QSWO tables is a wipe-down with BLO, a
coat of Zinnser Seal Coat straight from the can, and several (4-6) thin,
wiped-on coats of gloss urethane. I scuff the poly with 400 grit, and
adjust the final sheen with wax and rubbing compounds. You can pour
drinks on this finish, and calmly damp cloth it off. G The grain can
be filled, but I like the partial grain filling of the finish.

A good wooddorker embraces different techniques for different situations.