Dave Hinz

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 15:32:43 GMT, John R. Carroll wrote:
Dave Hinz wrote:

(thinks)... Oddly, enough, I don't have one of those. I wonder how
that
happened? Pretty sure it's because I like a nice walnut stock, and
for
reasons I don't understand, I haven't seen anyone sell those for the
AR.
Maybe that's a market?

LOL

No, I'm serious. Maybe people would buy nice wood for their ARs. I
know I would.

I'd have to check with the people in the ATF and my local SO before
I'd
consider rolling my own silencer. They're not complex, but I'd need
make sure everything is cool before I did anything resembling that.

I think you would find the process a little onerous but I could be wrong. I
just don't know your tolerance level for whatever bureaucratic falderal is
involved to make any pronouncement. I am sure you would have to jump through
hoops.

Far as I know, it's a letter from the local SO stating that you're not a
schmuck (no problem there), and pay your tax stamp to the boys in the
sunglasses, and you're good to go. I just have better things to do with
that 200 dollars, for something that would essentially be a pointless
toy. (I have 30 acres in a rural part of Wisconsin, and the neighbors
don't mind when I shoot - more than once, they've come over to join in).

I can tell you that in California that you would likely do a stretch
if you were caught fooling around like this, especially since 9/11. Even a
first offense as an interested hobbiest.

Well, to be fair, this is _not_ the sort of thing for casual tinkering.
You'd be an idiot to dick around with any sort of ATF offense.

I can't remember the law exactly
but I think it's ten years at the state level and the Feds would no doubt
pile on.

Dunno, doesn't matter. I can say with complete certainty that
everything I have is 100% legal, and I intend to keep it that way.
I don't even have the spike bayonet on my late-model Chinese SKS,
(it's OK on the Russians, y'see, because it's different somehow?!?!!)
because that would put it into an unimportable configuration. That may
have changed with the sunset of the 'ugly gun ban' here a few months
back, but as I'm not sure, the spike still is hanging next to the SKS
rather than installed on it.

Nothing I have any interest in as a civilian and the days when I would fool
around with this stuff under arms are long over. YMMV.

I would have enjoyed being an armorer, I think. Ah well...twiddling
bits pays well too...