Default Planning Application: Late Objection

"Peter Crosland" wrote in message ...

Objections can, and indeed frequently are, made right up to when the
decision is made. Often this is at the planning committee meeting
where the matter is being decided. In the same way applicants can
submit amendments at the last minute. Objectors have rights just as
applicants do. The deadline is not cast in stone since you can ask
for it to be deferred pending negotiation over the changes or
withdraw the application entirely. In the latter case you can submit
an amended application and go through the whole procedure again
without paying again. Your best bet is to ask for it to be deferred
and negotiate with the planners. If you decide, as applicants often
do, that you want is decided as submitted then you will almost
certainly lose and have to pay again for an amended application.

In that case I wonder why they put an earlier date as a deadline for
all
comments in the letters and notices that they post?

That is the law. Howver, the planners have to make a decision based on all
the information they have and your neighbours have evry right to object at
the last minute though it is not ideal. Just because you have made some
changes does not mean that your plans will be acceptable. You are just going
to have to accept this if you want to get permission.

I just went down to the planning department to find out more about the
objection. I was mistaken about the lateness of the objection. It was
actually received weeks ago. It's a pity that no-one told me about it
before.

I know that making changes will not automatically make the plans acceptable.
However if I am not told what is wrong I can't fix it.