Jeff Wisnia

Robert11 wrote:

Hello:

Have installed a two bulb linear fluorescent fixture bought from HD as
an overhead shop light.

Have it all wired in now.

Howver, about 50% of the time, turning on the switch does not cause the
lights to light.
But, flicking the switch once or twice always gets them going.
Once on, they are perfect; no flickering.

Wired to a new wall switch I installed for that purpose.
Switch is fine, I believe.

Any thoughts on what might be the problem ?

Thanks,
Bob

If the ground is OK, I think you are just seeing the effect of a cheap
POS fixture from HD. I can almost guarantee that if you were to yank out
the ballast in that fixture and replace it with a BETTER ballast, your
problems would go away.

On the off chance that you bought one with a truly defective ballast,
I'd take a shot at swapping it at HD and see if the next one is any better.

If you go for replacing the ballast, you'll probably have to pay more
for a good quality ballast than you did for the whole fixture. :-)

"You never get more than you pay for, and if you pay little, that's what
you get."

HTH,

--
Jeffry Wisnia