Mike Young

"Abrasha" wrote in message

Get rid of MS Internet Explorer, and you won't have to worry about
spyware, malware, browser hijacks, etc.

If you don't want to drop IE, at least get Ad-Aware and Spybot, Search &
Destroy.

Thanks for the thought; I know you mean well. The simple truth is,
anti-virus and anti-this'n'dat caused me more problems and grief than any
other computing mishap, including viruses and ad-ware, in more than 10 years
of cruising the web. Take a cruise over to www.sysinternals.com and build a
real toolkit. I know it's not for everyone, but there are other ways.
Autoruns.exe and procexp.exe identified the culprits in two minutes.
Excising them, alas, still required booting in safe-mode. Spyware stuff
can't do much better.

I recently tried Firefox/Mozilla. It's probably safe from the current
strains of infection, but it's also quite immune to useful, simple things
like wmv. No thanks.