I want to minimize the toxicity.
(I realize that copper itself can be toxic)

I'm looking for easy to machine copper.

I'm told that machining pure copper is a bear.

I need the melting point and thermal conductivity of copper.

I'm going to machine away l away 95% of the 4" bar.

Any suggestions?

(I'm the same as the origional poster, just differn home/work account)

On 21 Sep 2005 02:38:19 GMT, (DoN. Nichols)
wrote:

According to machineman :
wrote:

Where can I purchase some 3 to 4" tellerium copper rounds?
(Or any easily machined copper)
I'm looking for some rounds 16 to 18" long.
I expect they will be expensive

[ ... ]

http://www.anchorbronze.com/c14500.htm

Also -- consider the toxicity of it. It is not known to be as
bad as beryllium, but it does have some known effects. From the web
site: http://www.corrosionsource.com/handbook/periodic/52.htm

Tellurium and its compounds are probably toxic and should be
handled with care. Workmen exposed to as little as 0.01 mg/m^3
of air, or less, develop "tellurium breath," which has a
garlic-like odor.

Also -- FWIW, the entry concludes with the following:

Costs:

Tellurium costs about $100/lb, with a purity of about 99.5%.

I found this (and lots of other hits -- around 18,000) by
running a Google search on "tellurium breath", which I remembered as an
effect of the stuff. Some of the others suggest that once acquired, it
lasts for months.

Enjoy,
DoN.