SonomaProducts.com

You will get some disagreement with the following opinion but this is
cyberspace and we all get to speak with impunity.

In my opinion, if you want to build quality wood furniture there are
too fundamentals to follow. Make every piece is as flat and square as
possible and sand, sand, sand. Bottom line first; I have just had too
many heartbreaks with bad cuts from a miter saw to ever want to use
them for anything as accurate as a fine piece of furniture; crown
molding 5 feet over my head, sure, but not furniture (insert flames
here.)

Therefore, I never worry much about the accuracy of a cutoff saw
because I am only using it to make big pieces smaller before I cut them
to final size (rip, cross cut and bevel/angle cut), typically on the
table saw. Yes there is the odd time the cutoff saw is the best tool
for a certain cut, and of course the wily ole bandsaw, but I'll always
just dial it in for that one cut, so most saws will hold a setup for a
cut or two.

Many of the designs that I produce over and over are assembled almost
without the use of a square. If the parts are square, the piece will be
square. Of course large open boxes require a quick check across the
diagonals but that's done with a tape anyway.

I also sand the boards flat with maybe 80 or 100 depending on their
state, before I rip or cross cut. Then I sand with 150 after all the
milling is done and before I assemble anything. Then I'll ease the
edges with 320, not for the smoothness, just so I can control how much
material I take off.

BW