John Fly

Default All stainless pattern weld? Can a pattern exist?

Are there any combinations of stainless that can be (forge)welded
together that could be etched to bring out a pattern?

If so what types of SS would I be needing?

ALSO:

How fast does the natural oxide layer build up on stainless?

I've done some SS to carbon steel forge welding... I've even done it
with an oxy/acetelyne torch and a couple of firebricks(nothing big this
way)...

I normally grind then sand my steels to a good clean surface...
sometimes near mirror. I always leave my SS until last.. I don't know
if it helps but i figure the less time it has to form an oxide layer
the better.

I worry that if I spend time prepareing many pieces of SS that an oxide
layer might build up on the first pieces, almost undoing some of my
prep..

Should I worry? What can I do if it might be a problem?