BobS

Just made a maple kitchen table a couple of months back. Here's some ideas
to keep in mind:

1. An old T shirt is not a lint free cloth. Use some folded cheesecloth
(think auto store).

2. Apply a liberal amount of high gloss poly to the cloth then wipe it on
evenly. Avoid going back over the area you just applied the poly. Wipe
around the edges after you have applied that coat to the top to avoid any
runs.

3. Let dry (follow directions on can), sand lightly with 320 or greater,
clean it off with some mineral spirits (using a different piece of
cheesecloth).

4. Repeat above - using the high gloss poly - until you're down to the final
two coats. Now, if you want a low gloss look, you can apply their
semi-gloss or low-gloss version or rub down the high gloss (after it's
cured - 30 days) to the level of gloss you want using steel wool,
Scotchbrite pads or even rubbing compound. I found it easier and quicker to
make the final coats semi-gloss but your taste will vary from mine.

Using the high-gloss, is like using a clear coat and does not obscure the
look of the wood grain as you build up coats of poly.

Bob S.

"bremen68" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello again......I had previously asked about how to finish a table
that wasn't sealed......had stain, but no seal......

Decided I'm going with Minwax Rub on Poly

Has anyone used it and what did you do to get the best finish....I've
always done poly by going over the piece with steel wool......tacky
cloth......apply first of many coats........allow dry time....steel
wool.......and repeat until done and beautiful......

Any input? Ideas? Advice?

Thanks.