Ed Majden

in article ,
at wrote on 9/19/05 17:01:

Hello Ed:

I'm unsure as to the circumstances under which it might be toxic. My
copy of "Amateur Telescope Making" says that "Invar, for example is an
alloy of 64% steel and 36% nickel...". The same composition is found
at on the web MatLab, with a few minor alloying elements.

Stainless steel is an alloy of iron, nickel, and chromium. Can't see
how Invar could be toxic if stainless isn't. If someone is claiming
toxicity, you may want to ask for a hard reference.

Regards -- Terry

Terry:
I didn't think it was toxic either until I ran across this site:

Seems it is just like beryllium. Do not grind and inhale the dust! They
say its a controlled hazardous material.

http://www.goodfellow.com/scripts/we...OW&LAN=A&HEAD=
ZZFEAAAC&SPAGE=FE02 Look for hazard information!

Ed