Ken Cutt

Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:
"Ken Cutt" wrote in message

Yep! I agree fully. I'm not fond of being screwed and often do things

for

myself instead of reaching for my wallet. It's worse than just the

money in

some instances, too. Poor workmanship and unreliable people that don't
follow through. I know I can trust myself, although I may be slower

than

tar on a cold day when doing things I've never done before. Still, I

get

it done.

Cutting a spur gear is no big deal--indexing is probably the most

difficult

part. The last one I made I was fortunate in that I could do it with

an

indexing head. That's not always the case.

Harold

One other not insignificant bonus is what a person learns by tackling
anything new . The knowledge has to have a value . That and the feeling
that you beat the system , every small bit helps ;-)
Ken Cutt

I couldn't have said it better. Tackling the difficult is something I
always encourage. Think about running a lathe. Some folks are intimidated
by hand grinding toolbits, so much so that they turn to insert carbide
tooling in order to avoid the learning curve. Truly a sad thing, for
they're cheating themselves from the one skill that's essential to
machining, the ability to generate cutting tools, and to know when they
aren't proper, and why. I can't think of one thing that will set a person
free more than that ability, when manual machining is involved.

I rarely allow myself to be in a position where I'm at the mercy of others.
In order to live that life style, you must have incredible will power and
confidence. I have both, and they've served me well. Too bad I didn't
have the foresight to get an education, so they could have served me even
better. sigh!~

Ah well, life has been good, and I can't complain.

Harold

Well there is one huge compensating factor the world has given to those
not too timid to ask . The Internet and the forums , such as this one .
As long as one is willing to ask for help the world is full of people of
all skills more than willing to pass on what they can . Nothing is ever
asked in return . Wow imagine that . Think about it , in a world that at
times seems driven by " Whats in it for ME !!! " . Here is so much
precious experience given , without strings . Kinda makes a person think
that way way out there you can see the faint glimmer of light at what
the world may become . I could not list all the people here that have
helped me learn . I sure have been a big winner overall but the sweetest
part is it ain't over yet .
Ken Cutt