Greg Menke

"Steve R." writes:

"RoyJ" wrote in message
et...
Burning chipped wood is common at the industiral plant and power plant
level. Most wood processing plants (lumber, OSB, particle board, etc) burn
their scrap to produce process heat or steam. The chipped pieces are nice
since you can use automated material handling.

Snip

On the home level, the finer the chips, the less it wants to burn. Just
try and burn sawdust in a fireplace or stove. Big chips (3/4" slices) burn
nicely, you need to reload quite often unless you have full damper
controls.

With a properly equipped stove, sawdust burns quite well. When I was a young
lad, Victoria had a lot of sawmills, and many homes had sawdust burning
stoves and furnaces. It was way cheaper than cordwood. At times a load of
firewood would have a lot of sawdust in it. We used it up by burning it on
top of a good wood fire.

It also makes a great firestarter if you stir enough old motor oil in
the sawdust to just start making it clumpy. My dad keeps a small bucket
of it near the woodstove for starting the fire- all you need is a cup or
so, single match to light it and no newspaper or kindling req'd.

Gregm