Glenn Ashmore

"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote in message
I find it very hard to believe that the sediment is 20,000 feet deep.
I believe there is limestone, sandstone and lots of other stuff in the
strata below. If you use mapquest and search for New Oleans you will see
that 1. the Green square that if a channel was there - it would have
dumped
the lake to the Gulf, 2. Why, is there a dike or other obstruction won't
it
run under HWY 11 - did the highway form a dike - the Gulf.

The sediment is at least 20,000 feet deep but that does not mean it is all
loose material. Limestone, sandstone and such ARE sedimentary. I doubt
there is much limestone as the large fresh water flow of the river
discourages marine corals. OTOH, low to moderate hardness sandstone should
start at the 80 to 100' depth and below about 10,000' it would turn into
metamorphic rocks like phylite and various schist.

I still don't understand why they waited to start pumping. Pump while
the water poured into the city. It might be just 80 or 50% of the net
flow.
Every bit counted. It looks like the current pumps are makeshift. I bet
that the pumps are good weather pumps - e.g. it is dry with a little water
ok to pump. A flood puts pumps out of work ? Poor design.

Should be bunk houses with underground power sources and a local oil fired
unit. Then the pump is controlled from a roof entrance or via radio/land
line.

They were pumping until the power went out. You have to see these stations
to believe them. They are gigantic. The newest is at least 50 years old
and the oldest is over 100. Relocating them would probably cost more than
the entire $14B levee upgrade/renurishment proposal.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com