Gunner Asch

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 22:07:44 -0500, "Martin H. Eastburn"
wrote:

I would guess it is 2,000 feet myself. I can't find my Gulf States Stratigraphic
class book with the secret notes within. (Secret because oil, gas and water drillers
would kill for some of it at the time).

You don't have to be in sand stone to have rock. Limestone is hard rock deep under.
I want to say it is at 400' deep in Houston and San Antonio - so it would be much
the same in the delta. I did once know the strata layers from the gulf to the panhandle
and likewise up from the coast in Mississippi....

It was inland oceans time and time again.
Retreating and depositing.

A trench 20,000 deep filled in with muck from the Mississippi would be strange indeed.
Nothing that tall or that deep ever was in North America or on the Plate. IBY

Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

In Matamoros Texas, its at 350' +/minus

I drilled shot holes into it.

Gunner

Cliff wrote:
On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 08:37:38 -0500, "John Scheldroup"
wrote:

He'd have to dig another 80 feet before he reached bedrock consisting of compacted
clay, and silty sand.

Clay & sand would not be bedrock.
That 20,000 feet gets you to sandstone IIRC.

BTW, New Orleans is sinking at an average of about
one foot every 30 years.

for torturing the cat." Gunner