Default VCR image only when fast-forwarding (tried cleaning heads)

Hi,

The VCR quit playing tapes (all of them), but the sound still works.
When fast forwarding, the picture is crystal clear (except for the
normal static bar). When I switch from fast-forward to play, the
picture goes to 3/4 static (where I can still make out the picture,
which is no longer fast-forwarding), for a half-second (or less),
before going to full static, then just blue.

I tried cleaning the heads, which had no effect.

The VCR is as ESA. Any ideas?

A note on head cleaning: Did I do it right? I must have spent an hour
on Google trying to find a picture of VCR heads IN a VCR, before giving
up. I had some VCR cleaning fluid and chamois cleaning sticks someone
left behind long ago. So I just opened it up and guessed. There's a
cylinder that has horizontal lines on the top half, with none at the
bottom. At two points 180 deg. apart, in the middle of the cylinder,
there are small openings. I assume those are the video heads. I moved
the cleaning stick back and forth horizontally over these two areas, as
I had read about (no pictures...). I tried this three times, checking
with a tape in between. No effect. I still only get an image while
fast-forwarding. (So I apparently didn't do additional damage...) I
checked the manual, and this is supposed to be a 4-head VCR. Are the
heads paired up, with two in each of those two small holes?