Toller wrote:
Geez, you follow the bad circuit back to the breaker box. Inbetween where it
is good and where it is bad there is a problem.
You actually paid this guy when he couldn't find it?

I know. The problem is that it is not evident where the break is. It
is likely in the wall, or between the 1st and 2nd floor of the house.
It isn't obvious. I also don't have schematics for the exact layout of
the circuit so it's also difficult to know where the last good "plug"
is. If I knew were the last good outlet was, then that would at least
give me a decent idea where the break is. For now, I can only
guesstimate.

Thanks to everyone for their posts. I think I'll find another
electrician; one with better tools.