Chris J Dixon

Dave Martin wrote:

Maybe not quite DIY but still ...

My seat-of-the-pants measurements and observations tell me that the
cavity insulation in our house could be a lot better.

The cavities are filled with small pea-sized polystyrene beads. I am
far from convinced that the cavities are 'fully' filled - I guess they
are originally filled from the top, so I'd take a safe bet that there
are big voids under windows, fo example. And likely the beads settle -
so there may be a void at the top of the cavities. I also am less than
convinced of the efficiency of this type of insulation.

Has anyone got specific experience and/or comments on it ?

That sounds like the system that I had installed a few houses and
about 20 years ago. I recall that Shell were behind it in some
way.

They certainly drilled an extensive hole pattern so as to get
full coverage, and there was an adhesive sprayed in as the beads
were blown into the cavity, to prevent subsequent movement.

Unless you have specific reason to doubt the integrity (been
round with your Maplin infrared thermometer
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...36598&doy=19m9
for instance), I should leave it alone.

Chris
--