Dave Martin

since you clearly have nothing to contribute kindly take your abuse to
some other place and leave this forum to the very helpful and informed
people who provide excellent mutual assistance. ... D

wrote:
Dave Martin wrote:

Maybe not quite DIY but still ...

My seat-of-the-pants measurements and observations tell me that the
cavity insulation in our house could be a lot better.

The cavities are filled with small pea-sized polystyrene beads. I am
far from convinced that the cavities are 'fully' filled - I guess they
are originally filled from the top, so I'd take a safe bet that there
are big voids under windows, fo example. And likely the beads settle -
so there may be a void at the top of the cavities. I also am less than
convinced of the efficiency of this type of insulation.

Has anyone got specific experience and/or comments on it ?

And a bigger question - what could I replace it with - assuming I'm
willing to pay a large amount for a substantial improvement in
insulation ? I think, however, that removing and re-building the outer
leaf is not on the agenda, but if anyone has that experience please say so.

.... Dave

Get yourself another hobby.