Phil Addison

Default Damp under upstairs window. Porous sill?

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 13:01:50 +0100, "stuart noble"
wrote:

Phil Addison wrote in message ...
Had a look at it after some rain and was pleased to see droplets rolling
around on the sill. I appreciate it may not last very long though (any
estimates?)

IME 6 months or so.

Another reason for pliolite or similar.

These products are usually siloxanes which, unlike silicone,
don't form a continuous film. They cure as microscopic pellets of
grease/rubber which can be dislodged by (although not soluble in) water.
Same stuff they use for dpc injection I think.

Are you sure? I'm no chemist but once talked to the chemi-lab of the
makers of Solignum when I was injecting it as a dpc. They told me that
the stuff is not intended (indeed does not) fill up the pores of the
bricks, but coats the internal surfaces of the pores with a very thin
layer which changes the surface tension so that water does not rise past
it. The upshot of this is that you can repeat the treatment if the first
was inadequate.

I'm no chemist either but www.sovchem.co.uk might give you some ideas.

That's both of us then.

Phil