Martin

Default Kitchenaid stove problem

hi,

i have 2 problems with current Kitchenaid Superba ceramic top stove-

1: dual element does not work properly - the smaller element does not light
up by itself, it always lights up together with the larger, outer element
(does not matter on position of the knob)
2: ceramic top seems to be "microscopically" scratched. The previous owner
did not use the "recommended" cleaners, but regular household stuff - Vim or
something. The top seems to be attracting spills better, often burning them
onto it, making them very hard to remove. That makes me think the top might
be scratched somewhat (no visible scratches though).

Is there something I can do to troubleshoot the problem 1?
Is the ceramic top cleaner required for cleaning, and do other cleaners
damage the top, or is it just in my head? if there is a chance the top is
scratched, is there a product to restore it to original condition ?

thanks.

martin