Dave D

"Albert Grennock" wrote in message

snip

However if I do have any trouble getting a refund I will get a refund
the technicality that it is described as a 21" set when infact the

screen
size is much closer to 20", a clear misrepresention which under
UK law entitles me to a refund.

Wrong. CRTs are measured from outside corner edge to corner edge of the
actual CRT assembly before fitting to the TV, not the viewable area like
TFTs. A 21" CRT will correctly measure 20" or less diagonally viewable
space. That's the way it's always been. If you try that approach, they'll
laugh you out of the store.

I think you are joking, they might laugh me out of the store but I would
be laughing them out of a small claims court when it ruled in my favour.
They would be laughing even less when they picked up their legal bill.

Are you insane or just trolling? If you doubt how CRTs are measured, go into
any store and ask them, or write to the manufactirers and ask them.

In fact, start a new thread on this NG and ask the question, see what

Legal arguments like "Well we have always been crooked conmen,
and people should realise they will be cheated" don't tend to go down
very well in a decent court of law.

Not conmen, this is the way it's done, by all manufacturers AFAIK. It
stemmed from the technical identification/part number of the CRTs as they
come from the manufacturer. The diagonal size of the entire CRT formed part
of the part number.

Some manufacturers might point this discrepency out, others may not.
Personally I feel it is a bad way to measure CRTs, and misleading, but
that's not the point. For a single manufacturer to change to actual viewable
space measuring, they would have to sell larger CRTs than the competition
for the same money, while few people would probably notice the 1" or so
increase.

It would be nice if all manufacturers could agree on the change, but it
won't likely happen now- CRTs are near the end of their life.

Infact I would probably be better off
not mentioning the other fault at all.

Then they would be within their rights to tell you where to go, and have
good chuckle.

I doubt they will be chuckling with a broken jaw.

Oh for heaven's sake.

So three faults in all, mis-sold, mis reprentated and faulty - not bad
going
eh?

If it were true, but it isn't.

You would think a store like that would go bust however they have a
virtual monopoly in the market so they can see whatever crap they like.

Monopoly? Dixons/Currys do not have a monopoly. In any case, if they had
monopoly, by what logic would they go bust?!

Maybe someone might burn all their stores down, use your imagination.

You're in laa-laa land, and it appears I've been unknowingly taking
advantage of your incapacity. How callous of me. I promise I won't do it
again ;-)

Dave